Frequently Asked Questions
- What is MarketSpace?
- MarketSpace is an e-commerce service for creating online marketplaces and stores. Similar to online stores, an online marketplace allows buyers to shop for products and pay with a credit or debit card, but a marketplace has many sellers rather than just one.
We provide tools to create customized marketplaces which meet your needs and allow you to manage your sellers the way you want to.
- How do I create a marketplace?
- Go to our Create Marketplace page. There you will name your marketplace, choose a temporary domain name and create an account. You can add a sample seller and if you already have a shop page on another marketplace, you can easily add it to the new marketplace in one click.
- Can I use my own domain name?
- Yes, let us know what domain name you'd like to use and we'll tell you how to set it up.
- Can anyone sell on my marketplace?
- That depends on you. Choose to either invite sellers to your marketplace or allow anyone to join.
- Do I have to manage products and orders for my sellers?
- No, your sellers will create their own shop page, add their own products and manage their own orders.
- Can I collect commission on sales?
- Yes, on your Manage Marketplace page enter the percentage commission that you wish to charge your sellers. You'll receive your commission through your payment gateway account and the funds will be directly deposited into your bank account.
My Standalone Store
- How do I create a store?
- Go to our Create Store page. There you will name your store and choose a temporary domain name.
- Can I share my products between my store and a marketplace?
- Yes. Your products can be shared between any number of stores and marketplaces and you choose which products are shown in each place.
Selling on a marketplace
- How do I join a marketplace?
- Some marketplaces allow anyone to join while others require an invitation from the marketplace owner. If you already have a business relationship with an invitation-only marketplace, they'll send you an invitation by email. You can also contact a marketplace owner to request an invitation.
- What do I need to start selling?
- You'll need a bank account to receive payment for purchases. We'll help you get setup with how to connect your marketplace shop with your bank account.
- Can I manage my products and orders myself?
- Yes, you'll create a shop page where you can add and manage your own products. You'll also manage the customer orders you receive, shipping, inventory levels and returns.
- How do I receive payments?
- Credit card payments for your products will be taken using a payment gateway account that is created when you setup your shop. The funds will then be deposited directly into your bank account.
- How can I pay?
- You can pay by various credit cards, debit cards and PayPal depending on whom you're buying from. U.S. sellers accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, Discover, and Diners Club. Canadian, European and Australian sellers accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Each seller's shop page will show the logos of the payment types they allow.
- Who will I receive my shipments from?
- You'll receive your purchase shipments from the seller you purchased from. All transactions you make are directly with each seller and they manage their own order and shipping processes. If you purchased items from multiple sellers you'll receive multiple shipments.
Check the seller's shipping policy on their shop page for details.
- What's a payment gateway?
- A payment gateway is the internet equivalent of the machine you use for credit card payments at restaurants and stores.
- Which payment gateways can I use?
- MarketSpace uses Stripe.com, PayPal.com and Beanstream.com.